Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fortification

I've sighed so many times today
my glasses have gone fogged
from all the extra moisture in the air
while struggling to pull away
from the funk in which I'm bogged
but it seems that I've got apathy to spare

I don't know why I'm so inclined
the sun is getting warm
inspiring impatient Spring to start
but somewhere in my mixed-up mind
these dreadful demons swarm
with aims at taking down my battered heart

resistance to this fierce attack
requires some defense
a firm resolve to fight and never flee
I've learned to beat the bastards back
they flinch at my intense
committment that my dreams will come to be.

5 comments:

Mark Butkus said...

I appreciate the hopeful, defiant turn at the end. "apathy to spare..." brilliant!

Cheers,

mark Butkus

Brother Ollie said...

yes - very cool ending

Anonymous said...

I hear you, Bob. I'm taking an emotional beating at the moment. Love this poem.

Anonymous said...

I hear you, Bob. I'm taking an emotional beating at the moment. Love this poem.

rch said...

Well I wasn't giving in to the doldrums no matter what!