Thursday, April 06, 2006

Beneath The Tracks

I’ve lived down here forever it seems
on Thunderbird and nickel dreams,
I plunged headlong into the crack
from which there is no coming back,
accustomed to quite harsh extremes.

The rumble of an evening train
alerts me that it’s time again
to face the horde which claims it cares
but only offers sickened stares—
my steady diet of disdain.

One day perhaps the fates will grin,
some country club will vote me in;
until then I’ll keep keepin’ on
and hope someone can look beyond
these mottled streaks upon my skin.

3 comments:

Billy Jones said...

Wow, I'm really impressed with this one. It's as if you've been watching my life unfold. Amazing work, Robert.

Anonymous said...

This is excellent. It makes me think...do people choose this life, is it where they want to be or where they think others would have them be. And, how lucky we are not to be there with them. I agree, amazing work Robert! (As always)

rch said...

Hey Billy, thanks a lot, that means a lot from you. I wish you could be nominated for the PL of blogging poets because no one does more than you to promote poetry online, no one!

Hi Shirley, thanks to you too. Yes I've often wondered also, I think we're all closer to the edge than we like to believe.

Thanks a lot to both of you and please feel free to call me Bob, I just use RCH for the poems. Take care!!!! 8-D