Saturday, November 01, 2008

Legacy

With auburn tresses, skin that fairly glowed
and sturdy heart that overflowed with good,
she nurtured us the only way she could
while hazarding her own uneven road,
a private path that had more dips than hills
yet always seemed to somehow level out
for faith was much more powerful than doubt
when harbored by her feistiest of wills,
whose spirit brightly sparkled when she spoke.
But tragically, the journey took its toll
and every dream she had of being whole
ascended in a final puff of smoke.
At last, she’s free from all the painful fuss
and hopefully her best lives on through us.






In Loving Memory of Katharyn Ann Hazelton 1944-2008




My Mother passed away tragically in a house fire earlier this week. The poem above was read by my Sister today at the service. We found this photo with her stuff and I think it is so beautiful...


We also found this little gem from my parents wedding day (they're split now) but I was blown away by this tender shot



I don't usually do any type of PSA but I urge anyone who reads this to pick up the phone and call that relative or friend you haven't talk to in a while, or drop them a line. Time is so short and you never know what may happen. I'm taking a few days off for a head break but I ask that anyone so inclined to say a little prayer for my Mom to finally have peace. Thanks, and I would also like to thank my friend Shirley for inspiring the end of this poem.

15 comments:

CANDLELIZARDEGG said...

My condolences rch,my correspondent.
my fellow poet.

im with the poem "legacy" T_T

both the photos, reflect your mothers ' and your fathers' love for you and your sister.. very inspiring and sad...

Dan said...

I'm truly heartbroken by this news. I know it feels you battle these things in isolation, but may it be of some consolation to know your friends are praying that comfort and peace surround you and your family. Take care, my friend.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it any better or with more sincerity than Dan did. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

You did a beautiful job with the picture honey, Mom would be very proud, as I am.
Lovingly,
Your sister

S.L. Corsua said...

It breaks my heart, Bob. I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers go out to you and your loved ones. Your poem, and these photos -- they comprise a most beautiful tribute for your mother. Know that you are cherished, dear.

Anonymous said...

Deepest condolences Bob. Your mum will go on in your thoughts and beautiful words. Take care of the ones you love.
Bye for now
Glenn

punatik said...

My deepest sympathy. I will say a prayer for your mom.

Jo Janoski said...

A wonderful tribute, gentle tribute. I'm sure she's up there smiling your way.

kheywood said...

Dear Bob,

A lovely tribute in poetry and photography shows how beauty grows from tragedy...

I wish you peace in the days to come - peace in knowing your mom is with you always. Just look in the mirror.

Karen

ozymandiaz said...

love you man
peace

Jo A. T.B. said...

What a tragic and tremendous loss! Something about those old black and white photos, they have a special aura to them! A beautiful tribute!

Anonymous said...

Bob,
What a wonderful tribute. Your love for her is clear to see.

Both photos are so striking; she was certainly a beautiful lady.

It is so hard to lose a mom; my heart and prayers are with you. May she be at peace.

Nan

rch said...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your kind words. I can only believe she's in a better place now. God Bless you all :)

Mike Carson said...

Well done! Peace, love and prayers for sure.

me said...

beautiful words
my condolences to you.

just stopped by, and am saying hello