Sunday, January 22, 2012

Observance

The best way to avenge an enemy is to learn to forgive - Hiroshima Survivor

We have to choose what we believe to see;
this fractured fixture shows us just how cruel our kind can be
but will forgiveness ever grant us courage to refuse
what we believe to see? We have to choose--

do we see the light, or do we see the beam
the broken concrete symbol of a sorely wounded dream,
for only our transcendence can eradicate the night
do we see the beam, or do we see the light?


Here is a link to the story that inspired this: http://mohawkvalleyindependent.com/world-trade-center-artifact-delivered-to-riverlink-park-in-amsterdam-p466-95.htm

9 comments:

Brian Miller said...

perception is huge...what we see when we look at things...rather half full.half empty. or glass completely shattered question you know...

Anonymous said...

The rhyming is smooth love it. I must confess I am a bit of a pessimist in regards to myself, in regards to the world/society my feelings are mixed but with individuals I always look for the good. I am a bit strange like that. This was a wonderful piece to share thank you for participating =)

Heidi said...

I really like what you are saying in this poem. We can choose to hold grudges or let go. There is also a nice flow to your writing.

Anonymous said...

Lots to ponder here. I tried to copy and paste the link to the story, but it didn't work.

Anonymous said...

Stormcat had a good idea for the prompt explained in the comments you are most welcome to try!

Stormcat Poetry said...

I am moved by the message and words of this writing. Being involved in the Saratoga Springs 9-11 tribute sculpture, made from the salvaged steel of the fallen towers, this poem has extra meaning for me. Thank you for posting it.

rch said...

Thanks everyone, sorry the link is dead, it was a local online paper telling about the arrival of a support beam from the world trade center. Such a terrible tragedy.

Tawnya Smith said...

It is obvious the topic is important to you. I love the quote you preface the writing with. Powerful thoughts contained in a short space.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Thanks for making me think.

Although a natural optimist I am at times quite pessimistic about this human race of ours. We are not very nice to each other..

Nevertheless I shall continue to seek and see the light overcoming darkness...

Anna :o]