Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Casualty

Jagged clumps of gory clay are fringed with smoke
which slithers among reminders of the fray
and curls up in the throat, causing one to choke.

Trenchant shards of patriotic fervor slay
all who get too close with government approved
ferocity, even some not in the way,

leaving these atrocities that may be moved
but whose fly encrusted condemnations reek
with spreading decay that is never behooved.

Rhetoric reverberates above the meek,
expressions of culture form a cool façade
disguising visceral rituals they wreak.

We bury our potential beneath the sod
a legacy of those who’ve spoken with God.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, that is awesome Bob. It is so hard to put into words but I think you've come very close! We should all feel shame for what is happening to innocent people all over the world. BTW. I'm writing you in for President!

rch said...

Hi Shirley, thanks a lot. I was trying to break out of my iambic rut so I challenged myself to a Terza Rima Sonnet. I'm not overly fond of the 11 syllable lines but it is a nice change.

OK, but I'm Independent all the way (have been ever since I registered) the only party I like has nothing to do with political dogma.

Anonymous said...

Me too!

ozymandiaz said...

I love it baby, pull no punches. Do away with all forms of dogma if you ask me. Oh, I could really go off here


but I won't

Great job man.

Crunchy Weta said...

Stunning Bob! Got to hate government approved killings.- but you cover so much ground here. I'm glad you reserve vitriol for the important things.
Take Care
Glenn

rch said...

Yo Oz, let it out baby, let it all hang out! Thanks.

Hey Glenn, I'm stunned anybody likes it. Well I've been trying to stay more positive lately but the world just keeps interfering. 8^C
Thanks to you as well.